Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pismo ALMOST alive!! Help!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:53 pm 
I am really excited. After a catastrophic accident with my G3 Pismo, I have replaced the logic board, and replaced the Processor Board with a G4 550 board.

I'm finally getting a chime! Hooray!

But there's still no smiley face and no boot up.

Here's what I've tried:

Booting up with and without the PRAM battery plugged in (battery is new)
taking out and re-inserting the memory.

Pressing down really hard on the board until it snaps in

Booting from the hard disk and booting from a CD in the drive.

The CD drive sems to spin (I replaced it a couple of years ago), but I don't hear the hard disk. Is that the remaingin problem?

I'm so close. I've spent so much. I really want my Pismo back. Any help will be appreciated.
jbhanson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Where and when did you get that G4 550 board? Typically a chime with no video indicates a defective processor board.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic.com

Post subject: Pismo almost alive
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:29 pm 
I just received the new processor board from Powerbook Medic - yetserday. It's a G4 550.

I did put the old memory chips in it. Perhaps those were fried with the old processor. Would that make a difference?

jbhanson

Post subject: One more detail
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:15 pm 
By the way, the screeen does light up. I just don't get anything on it. It's white for a couple of seconds, then blinks and turns a slightly darker tone - light grey.

jbhanson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

...and the plot thickens...

If you get a chime and video, typcially that indicates things are working properly but there is a hang in the boot process.

Try this...unplug the hard drive from the logic board, and see if the unit boots to a blinking question mark. If it does, then there is a problem with either your drive, the ide cable, or the logic board.

What exactly happened to this unit to begin with? Does your old processor work? You may want to try to swap it out with the upgrade to see if things change.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic.com

Post subject: Another step forward
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:48 pm 
Hallelujah, another step toward Macintoshness!

I pulled the HD cable as you suggested, and tried to boot it. I got the blinking "?" alternating with a very small smily face. Just for kicks I stuck the OSX install disk 1 into the drive and saw the most beautiful apple on the screen that I have ever laid eyes on.

Naturally there is nothing to install it to, but I assume that the logic board (new) is OK and that the fault lies either in the IDE cable or the drive.

Considering the nature of the accident, I'm kind of assuming he worst with regard to the drive.

Here's what happened to my poor Pismo: After a short night, I coughed a mouthful of coffee onto the screen. It might have survived that had I not tried to wipe the screen off with a wet cloth. Some liquid ran down the left side of the screen and found - apparently - the logic board. When I tried to save and shut dow there were fireworks on the screen that I could only stop by pulling the AC adapter and the battery.

One more question, is there a cheap way to try a new cable before I buy a HD?

jbhanson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

Did you purchase the logic board from us? Usually the problem of the hard drive causing a boot failure is logic board related. However there are times when it is the cable or hard drive.

We sell the hard drive cable and sled kit at the link below:

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/c ... t=0&page=1

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic.com

Post subject: My vendor
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:01 am 
Yes. All of the new parts came from Powerbook Medic, including:

New screen
New DVD drive
New USB diskette drive
New Logic Board
128 MB memory (for back side of the processor)
New processor board

One last detail that I didn't mention (or even really think about until last evening) - I have been getting caps lock and numeral lock lights since I put in the new Logic Board, but I have not yet seen the power LED come on. I even tried swaping out the little board that hangs on the bottom of the screen with the old one (from my broken screen). Still no LED. nor does my back reset button seem to be working.

jbhanson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Let's try swapping out your logic board first. Send me an email at support@powerbookmedic.com with your order information, and we'll get that set up for you.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]