Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: No display or external monitor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:25 pm 

First of all what a cool website and forum. First post here.

I have a Pismo with the following:

G4 500 Powerlogix upgrade
40 gnx 40 gig 5400 rpm Travelstar drive
1 gig Ram
Airport
Jaguar with all updates

I have been running it with the above setup for almost a year with no problems. Then one day the images on the display became disorted, the machine "froze" but not like a software freeze. It just stopped working and I had to do a hard shutdown. Now it does this...

I get the boot chime, the hard drive makes all it's normal "startup crunching sounds" but the display and external monitor are black. It will
not however go to sleep if I close the lid and it will not boot into
firewire target disk mode. I cannot see it when connected to my G4 desktop machine. It also sounds like it boots from the cd if I hold down the "C" key at startup. I can hear the cd working but I get nothing on the displays. My USB mouse and keyboard get power.

I have tried different ram and even tried it with no ram to see
if I get the "no ram beep", which I do. The sleep light also blinks when doing this. I have reset the power manager and zapped the pram several times.

I sent the processor back to Powerlogix because it's still under warranty. They said it's okay but that it needed heat sink compound between the heat sink and the chip which they took care of. Strange as they are the ones who installed it in the first place. Anyway they say it's okay.

So, is my motherboard shot or can it be something more simple like the display inverter? I have torn it down quate a ways and checked and rechecked all connections I can.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I really want to resurect this machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

It sounds like the video card on your logic board is caput. If it doesn't send to an external monitor, this is most likely the problem. If it isn't the logic board then it is the display itself, but I'd put my money on the logic board.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]