Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dead Pismo after RAM Upgrade
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:17 am 
While attempting to upgrade my Pismo to 2 x 256MB I broke the heat sink off the processor and did not remove the battery before installing the RAM. After putting everything back together, including the original memory of 128 MB (bottom slot) nothing works. When I press the power button nothing lights up and the hard disk is absolutely quiet. The keyboard LEDs for shift-lock and num-lock DO appear to work. I would tend to think it is the processor board that is giving me problems but the fact that the disk doesn`t spin makes me think it might be the power board. The PowerBook`s hard disk does work in another unit. The PowerBook performs exactly the same regardless if it is connected to the A/C adapter or a fully charged battery. Any clues on narrowing down the culprit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Most likely te problem is your processor board. The first thing I'd try is to take the board out and then put it back in. Reset the power manager, and see if that clears up your problems.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: Dead Pismo after RAM Upgrade
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:26 am 
Thanks for your reply. I have tried that several times. Question: if it is the processor board, could that prevent the hard disk from starting? It doesn't spin-up at all!

Thanks.

Post subject: That fixed it
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:42 am 
You were right on the money. I didn't press the processor board hard enough. A co-worker looked at the unit for me and he pressed the board in -hard- till it snapped in place. Afterwards it booted right up!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:07 pm 

I had that same problem (déja-vu from another thread ... ).

I was afraid to press any harder than I thought necessary, because I didn't want to break my poor Pismo. I was really afraid of breaking it, because I honestly thought I was pressing hard enough. I guess not! :roll:

How hard do you really have to press? I really felt like I was pressing really hard. :?:

Post subject: Replacing Pismo Processor
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:18 pm 
Hi,

I just removed and replaced the processor in my 500 mhz Pismo in order to add RAM to the bottom slot. Several attempts to replace the processor and it still wasnt in right (no start-up).

What finally worked for me was to remove the RAM in the top slot temporarily, so that I could press on the processor board under where the top RAM module sits. Click and presto, it works great.

Best wishes,

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:40 am 
Site Admin

You need to press on the top of the board above the white connector on the bottom of the board so that it will snap into place. You shouldn't have to press too hard. It should just snap in easily.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]